Sunday, April 19, 2009

Yard Sales!!

A good way to avoid over consuming, a serious problem in America is to reuse old items. This doesn't only mean that you have to be the one doing the reusing! A good way to extend the life of old goods that are still good just old is by either having a yard sale or doing some of your shopping at yard sales. Just yesterday I took advantage of one of the nicest days of the year so far and did a little yard sale shopping. One particular stop paid off really well for me too in that not only was I able to get some good fishing lures but I picked up a lot of advice as well. One of the things that I really miss from my childhood is going to the local hunting and fishing stores. A few weeks ago with the opening of trout season I found to my sad surprise that all the ones in my area had recently closed down without me even knowing. The only place to buy fishing goods within a 30minute drive of my house are Walmart and KMart...Not much for choices! At one of the yard sales I went to though an old man was selling some of his lures(he had hundreds) in an effort to condense his toolbox size tackle box. He was kind enough to tell me about some of his favorite holes in the area, the kind of advice and service that's hard to find at Walmart! Also the price of 25cents a lure is hard to beat. The deals didn't stop there though. At another yard sale I went to later in the day I arrived at as the family was packing up. I asked how much an old but beside a few scratches perfectly good desk was. My answer was that if I took it now free because they didn't want to carry it back in the house. A price that again fits my budget!!
Heres some advice I have gathered from past yard sales my family has had in case you want to have your own.
1-In the case of my family the yard sales were more about getting ride of stuff that was to good to throw out then in actually making alot of money back. So take the day in stride and just have fun. A good way to look at a yard sale I think is as a relaxing day hanging out in your front yard. Don't look at it has a day of work.
2-That being said yard sales are a good way of making some money for things your would either throw out or give away, just don't stress about it.
3-My job as a kid was always making signs and than riding around and putting them on telephones with big arrows. This is a good way to get the attention of people just make sure you go and clean them up afterwards.
4-Haggling! This is your choice but in the case of my family we love a good haggle so we didn't really put price tags on things. I must warn you though that theres always a better haggler out there so if you have a price that you definitly want for something label it but even this might not stop the costumers from attempting to get a better deal. So I say gain some business experience and leave the price tags off and prepare to go toe to toe with the best.
5-This should probably be number one but check the weather!! A day thats too hot will keep costumers away and make for a miserable time and rain will ruin your stuff.
6-Make sure if you live in a house with other people that all of the items your selling are your own or you have the owners permission. I once witness my little sister chase a car down the street because my mom sold her favorite rocking chair.
7-Again just have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment