Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Update on the Eco Life

Just to let you know how I’ve been doing changing my life style to an eco-friendly one I’ve created this update. The most important step for me was reducing the amount of trash and waste I through away. My compost has been a great success, besides the occasional absentmindedness when I forget to put materials in the paper bag in the freezer I’ve created a good amount of fertilizer I can’t wait to use when I start my garden in another month. I have also learned that it is safe to add egg shells to the compost but make sure you break them up first as they take a long time to dissolve and release their calcium. For a good web site on composting dos and don’ts have a look here. Delicious Organics . This last week by carrying my own water bottle to class, using my school bag when I went shopping, and reusing a tuber ware container everyday for lunch I only actually have one piece of plastic to recycle. That is from a mouthwash container that is a Number 1 type plastic so it will definitely be accepted at my local center. I also have a few milk gallon containers, which are Number 2 type plastics, but I am saving them for my garden. A cool trick is to cut the bottom off and place overtop of young sprouts to create a mini green house that allows plants to be planted outside a couple of weeks early.

No comments:

Post a Comment